March 3, 2015

journaling.

I wouldn't call this blog as my personal journal. I like having this blog to feel and be creative and share things for friends and family who follow along who we don't see enough of. It's nice to come here and focus on the good, the happy, to remind myself how fortunate we are or how far we've come when I look back on post. That we are truly happy with our life and who we are. 

But I've recently been feeling like it's not enough. I was given this beautiful journal as a high school graduation gift. Along with it was a note from the family about documenting my memories in college. 


Today, when I open that book the first thing it says is "I have completed my first semester of college!"


End.

The next line says "Soooo.. I completed my second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth semester of college. I graduated. And I'm married now."


End.


You get the idea. I have been horrible at keeping my own private, personal journal. 


I have had quite a few journals growing up. I had stopped after those awkward, embarrassing middle school years. But I started another journal when Eric and I started dating (age 16) and I'm SO glad that I did. But when he left on his mission, and I to college, all journal writing ceased. I'm not sure why. 



"People often use the excuse that their lives are uneventful
 and nobody would be interested in what they have done. 
But I promise you that if you will keep your journals and 
records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration
 to your families, to your children, your grandchildren, 
and others, on through the generations."
-President Spencer W. Kimball, December 1980

I certainly feel like 95% of my life is "uninteresting" or not special enough to record for others. But there is the other 5% that is packed full of life lessons and experiences that I want my future family to be able to learn from and maybe inspire them to keep a record for themselves and others. 

So this is kind of me saying, out loud, I'm going to become better and focus on my personal journal writing because I am realizing it is so, so important. Your personal journal can contain your true self. It can include your triumphs, challenges, adversity, testimony and deep thoughts. 



"Your journal is your autobiography, 
so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, 
and there may be incidents in your experience 
that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way
 than those recorded in any other life"
-President Spencer W. Kimball, December 1980

3 comments:

  1. I love this post, and I needed it. I have been the exact same way about journaling--awesome at it up until high school graduation, and then not-so-hot after that. I really do regret it though, and I'm sure that if I don't start again now, I'll regret that in the future too. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement! I'm going to try to join you on this endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you'll start journaling too. I just think it'll be so cool if someone in a 100 years reads it. I had no idea where to start! So I sat down with a piece of notebook paper and started listing big events, accomplishments, anything that I wanted to record! Then I organized it into groupings so I had somewhere to start from. I want to get through the catching up, but I know it'll be so worth it!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete